Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Why do they call them Sloppy Joes?



This was Nellie's question while eating her Sloppy Joe. I didn't even have to answer her before she said, "Mom these are sooooooo sloppy!" But they are already requesting them again. Along with another round of Tara's Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies. So I set out to find a healthier version of Sloppy Joes and bingo, I found it at everydayfoodmag.com. I love this little magazine so much that I often gift it to friends when I get a subscription renewal. It has great quick and healthy meal ideas that are very satisfying.

Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
4 carrots, coarsly grated (2 cups)
1 medium onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper
3 tbsp tomato paste
3/4 pound ground turkey (I used 1.25 lbs)
1 (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp dark-brown sugar
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
4 whole-wheat rools

Directions:
In sauce pan over medim heat add oil, carrots, onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 4-5 minutes.
Add tomatoe paste and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add turkey and break up and cook until no longer pink. 4-5 minutes.
Add tomatoes, sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 12-14 minutes.
Serve on wheat buns.

Our side was steak fries sprinkled at the last few minutes with mozzarella cheese and thyme and a fruit salad. Get out your paper towel roll and get messy!

No comments:

Post a Comment