Sunday, September 13, 2009

Cowboy Caviar (aka Corn & Bean salad)

Our friends request that I make this side just about every time we get together to grill out. It's delicious, looks beautiful, and doesn't have anything in it that will make you feel guilty about eating it! I tried it about a year and a half ago with my little friends, and it didn't go over well with them, perhaps because of the lime juice. I need to try it again with them to see if their palates are ready for it. It has been a hit with every adult I know that has ever tried it.

Ingredients:
1 can whole kernel corn (I usually use Niblets)
1 can black beans
1 red pepper
1 bunch green onions
1 bunch cilantro
1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste
Rice vinegar

Directions:
1) Drain the corn and black beans and put in a large bowl.
2) Chop the red pepper, green onions, and cilantro. Add to the bowl.
3) Juice the lime into the bowl.
4) Add salt and pepper.
5) Top with rice vinegar. I just drizzle over the ingredients like a dressing.
6) Mix all ingredients and chill for at least 2 hours before serving to allow flavors to meld together.

This is wonderful as a side, but is also great to add to tacos. If cilantro was not the bane of my existence (despite the fact I have a special tool for chopping it), I would make it even more than I already do. It's great to make on a Sunday, and have available as a snack and/or side to lunches or dinners for the next couple of days.
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment