So I decided to try a new dessert I found in a True Grits cookbook, published by the Atlanta Junior League last night. While I didn't quite hit the presentation mark with this one, it tasted amazing! The proportions seemed a little off, so I'll make note of that as I go.
For the ice cream squares
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (this wasn't nearly enough. I ended up using about 2 1/2 cups, and next time I think I'll use more like 3 cups.)
6 tablespoons melted butter or margarine (b/c I increased the wafer crumbs, I increased the butter to 8 tablespoons)
9 oz. chocolate toffee candy bars
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt, softened
Directions:
1) Mix the cookie crumbs and butter in a bowl. Press into a 9 x 13 dish. Chill until set.
2) Crush the candy bars a few at a time in a food processor. Combine with the softened ice cream in a bowl; mix well. Spoon into prepared dish.
3) Freeze until firm. Cut into squares.
For the sauce
Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
1) Melt the butter and chocolate chips in a heavy saucepan. Stir in the confectioners' sugar and evaporated milk. Cook for 8 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in the vanilla.
2) Serve warm over the ice cream squares. **
** This is where I had a problem. When I poured the sauce over, it completely melted the ice cream (which makes total sense when you think about it)! I had to put it immediately back into the freezer to avoid it becoming soup. Also, I used all of the sauce, which seemed like too much after the fact I did it. However, after it had refrozen and I took it out to serve, it was absolutely delicious!
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment