Sunday, September 13, 2009

Taco Night

I try as often as I can to let the kids make (play) with their food. It often requires a lot of clean up, but they have so much fun it is worth the mess. When we make tacos, I let them build their own and we set up a taco bar in the middle of the table and make them as we eat them. Nellie and Cooper like the crunchy shell tacos and Trey and I mix it up with flour tortillas or butter lettuce for a lettuce wrap. My kids love Spanish rice, so that always goes along with the taco bar.

Ingredients:
1 package ground Turkey or Beef
1 package Taco Seasoning, or whatever spices you have on hand
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 onion chopped very small, so they don't try to pick them out
1 cup shredded carrots, you could chop them really small. They add a little sweetness and the kids love the added color.

Directions:
Over medium heat add garlic and onion to a little bit of olive oil.
Add meat and carrots and cook through.
Add the seasoning and follow the directions on the taco seasoning packet.

To set up the Taco Bar, grab individual bowls for each ingredient you want your bar to consist of. Here are some ideas, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, beans and the tortillas of any kind. Get creative or use what you have on hand. Nellie's usually end up looking just like a Taco Bell taco, and Cooper's is a beautiful art sculpture. They have fun making Trey and I taste test each taco. But amazingly they eat a lot of this meal.
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment