Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Taco Ring

I found this recipe on another blog, www.feedingmyzoo.blogspot.com, and immediately thought this sounded great. It took me a few minutes (and a phone call to my Mom), to figure out this recipe completely, but it was well worth it. Not only is this great for dinner, but it would be a fantastic dish to make when you have friends over to watch football or something. Next time I make this for my little friends, I will definitely half the ingredients.

Ingredients:
2 cups shredded cheddar
4 tablespoons water
4-6 tbs taco seasoning (I used one whole packet)
1 lb ground beef
2 tubes refrigerated crescent rolls

Optional Toppings:
shredded lettuce
diced tomatoes
sliced green onions
sliced olives
jalepeno peppers
sour cream
salsa

Directions:
1) In a large bowl combine water, taco seasoning and 1 cup of cheese. Crumble beef over mixture and shape into 12-16 balls.

2) Place meatballs on greased rack in a shallow baking pan. (Here's where my phone call to Mom came in. I learned that when you make meatballs, you don't want them baking in their own grease; you want the grease to be able to drip down. I did not have a greased rack at my disposal, but I found a circular perforated bakeware dish that I sprayed with Pam, and stuck on top of a baking dish. It worked perfectly.)



3) Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 12 minutes.

4) Reduce oven to 375. Arrange crescent rolls on a greased 15" pizza pan, forming a ring with the pointed ends facing the outer edge and the wide ends overlapping (You don't really have to put them in a circular ring now, you are supposed to transfer them to a serving dish when they come out of the oven anyway. I also did not have a pizza pan, so I used a standard cookie tray.)

5) Place a meatball on each roll; fold point over meatball and tuck under wide end of roll, leaving meatball visible. Repeat. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until rolls are golden brown.



The recipe says to transfer ring to a serving platter and fill the center of the ring with all the toppings. I think that would be a great idea if you were having a group of people over; the presentation would be fantastic. But for dinner for my little friends, I just put them on their plates with the toppings of their choice. Big success!
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment